Ukraine insists on the return of the bodies of the defenders who died in Yelenovka.
Ukraine has not yet received official responses from Russia regarding the lists of those killed and wounded as a result of the terrorist attack in Yelenovka, and there are no grounds to trust the lists published by Russians on the Internet.
This was announced by the representative of the press service of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense Andrei Yusov on the air of the information telethon.
“The Coordinating Headquarters for the Treatment of Prisoners of War immediately turned to Russia regarding the provision of information, lists of the dead, wounded as a result of this terrorist attack, as well as the return of the bodies of the dead defenders. Unfortunately, no official answers have been received so far, we can only operate the data published on the Internet by the Russians,” Yusov said.
According to him, these lists are being processed, data is being collected from other sources, but there are no grounds to trust and say that these lists have been confirmed.
“In particular, because during the verification of the lists that were unilaterally made public by the Russians, there are among the wounded those Ukrainian soldiers who were wounded before these events in Yelenovka, according to which there were agreements on the exchange in the near future and who at the moment this terrorist attack should have been in a hospital, and not in a barracks in an industrial zone. Accordingly, we cannot speak about the confirmation of the lists, and the Russians have not yet provided official answers within the framework of international law,” the representative of the press service of the Main Intelligence Directorate emphasized.
Yusov also noted that Ukraine had submitted a request from the Coordination Headquarters for the return of the bodies of the dead defenders and the return of captured fighters who were injured.
As UNIAN reported earlier, on the night of July 29, an explosion thundered on the territory of a former penal colony in the town of Yelenovka in the temporarily occupied territory of the Donetsk region. As a result, the building was destroyed, which contained Ukrainian prisoners of war, withdrawn from the Azovstal plant.
Immediately after the explosion, Russia accused the Armed Forces of Ukraine of shelling the penal colony. According to the Russian side, more than 50 Ukrainian defenders died, the number of wounded is unknown. Ukrainian law enforcement agencies said that the explosion in Yelenovka was a Russian terrorist attack with the aim of concealing war crimes, discrediting the Armed Forces of Ukraine, disrupting the supply of weapons. They demand that the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross immediately respond to the terrorist attack and send an inspection mission to the territory of the colony.
According to Ukrainian intelligence, The attack was carried out by mercenaries from the PMC “Wagner” (League) on the personal instructions of the nominal owner of the specified PMC – Evgeny Prigozhin.
In connection with the terrorist attack in Yelenovka, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky noted the need for a clear legal recognition of Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism.