In addition to gaining access to the site of the tragedy, the ICRC also offered assistance in the evacuation of the wounded and donations.
The Russian occupiers did not give permission to the International Committee Red Cross visit the place of mass death of Ukrainian prisoners of war in the Yelenovskaya colony.
This is reported Reuters with reference to the ICRC statement.
“Families should receive urgent news and answers about what happened to their loved ones. The parties should do everything in their power, including through an impartial investigation, to help establish the facts of the attack,” the statement said.
In addition to gaining access, the ICRC also offered assistance in evacuating the wounded and grant aid.
“So far we have not received official confirmation granting us access to visit the prisoners of war affected by the attack, and to date our offer of material assistance has not been accepted,” says the Red Cross.
According to the organization, the ICRC teams were already ready to go to Yelenovka, and medical, forensic and humanitarian teams were already nearby.
“It is imperative that the ICRC be given immediate access to the Yelenovka facility and other places where the wounded and the dead could be transported,” the statement said.
At the same time, the organization recalled that “the functions of the ICRC do not include conducting public investigations of alleged war crimes.”
As UNIAN reported earlier, on the night of July 29, an explosion thundered on the territory of a former penal colony in the town of Yelenovka in the temporarily occupied territory of the Donetsk region. As a result, the building was destroyed, which contained Ukrainian prisoners of war, withdrawn from the Azovstal plant.
Immediately after the explosion, Russia accused the Armed Forces of Ukraine of shelling the penal colony. According to the Russian side, more than 50 Ukrainian defenders died, the number of wounded is unknown. Ukrainian law enforcement agencies stated that the explosion in Yelenovka was a Russian terrorist act with the aim of concealing war crimes, discrediting the Armed Forces of Ukraine, disrupting the supply of weapons. They demand that the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross immediately respond to the terrorist attack and send an inspection mission to the territory of the colony.
According to Ukrainian intelligence, The attack was carried out by mercenaries from the PMC “Wagner” (League) on the personal instructions of the nominal owner of the specified PMC – Evgeny Prigozhin.
In connection with the terrorist attack in Yelenovka, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky noted the need for a clear legal recognition of Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism.