a fire in a hostel in the south of Moscow could have occurred due to illegal actions of an EMERCOM inspector

In June 2022, during an unscheduled on-site inspection of a hostel in a residential building on Alma-Atinskaya Street in Moscow, a senior inspector of the supervisory activities department in Moscow “limited himself to identifying minor violations of fire safety requirements.” About this August 1st informs press service of the Investigative Committee (IC) in Moscow.

The employee of the Ministry of Emergency Situations was charged under part 3 of article 285 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (“Abuse of official powers that entailed grave consequences”).

The department explained that the inspector, by reflecting deliberately false information in the documentation, hid materials about an administrative offense against the organization from being sent to court to decide on the suspension of the legal entity.

“As a result of these illegal actions, on July 28, 2022, a fire broke out in the hotel premises. In connection with the failure to eliminate the fire at the initial stage of its occurrence, informing the rescue services late, the impossibility of using the necessary fire extinguishing equipment, unskilled actions of workers who were not trained to function in the conditions of a fire, 8 people died, unable to leave the premises, ”the IC release says.

Investigators conducted searches on the inspector’s working dream, office documentation was seized. The objects of supervisory activities of the accused will also be identified and checked.

The Investigative Committee petitions the Presnensky District Court of Moscow for the election of a measure of restraint in relation to the inspector, connected with deprivation of liberty. The criminal investigation is ongoing.

Fire in the hostel happened on the night of 29 July. 200 people were evacuated from the building.

In the Ministry of Emergency Situations toldthat the fire alarm installed in the building did not work, and there were bars on the windows that prevented the rescue of people. According to preliminary data, all eight victims slept in the same room and were poisoned by combustion products. The next day, July 30, were detained hostel founder and CEO.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button